0x800a0046 Windows Update Error
Article by Marc Liron - Microsoft MVP (2004-2010)
Finding a solution for the 0x800a0046 error
This is a fairly un-common Windows Update error and hopefully this article will help you resolve the problems you are having.
The 0x800a0046 error code typically occurs because of a logon security issue.
What causes Error 0x800a0046
# The user logon account belongs to the Guests or Limited account groups.
# The security descriptor does not let authenticated users run Windows Update.
# The Impersonate a client after authentication policy is missing the Administrator and Service account from the list of Users and Groups.
To resolve this error, use one of the following methods:
Resolution Suggestion One:
# Remove the user account that is experiencing difficulty from the Guests or Limited account groups:
1. Click Start, click Run, type control admintools, and then click OK.
2. Click Computer Management.
3. Expand Local Users and Groups.
4. Select Users.
5. Open the account that is used to access Windows Update.
6. Click the Member Of tab.
7. Select the user account that you want to remove, and then click Remove.
Resolution Suggestion Two:
# Set the Security Descriptor:
First stop the Automatic Update Service:
1. Click Start
2. Choose Run
3. Type cmd and then click OK.
sc sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)
and then press ENTER.
You will receive a "Success" message.
4. Type Exit to close the command prompt.
5. Try Windows Update again.
(NB - You should be able to confirm that this has worked by typing: sc sdshow wuauserv in a command prompt!)
Resolution Suggestion Three:
# Verify the Local Administrator and Service account are added to the "Impersonate a client after authentication" security policy.
1. Click Start.
2. Point to Programs.
3. Point to Administrative Tools.
4. Choose Local Security Policy.
5. Expand Local Policies.
6. Choose User Rights Assignment.
7. Double-click to open the Impersonate a client after authentication policy.
8. On the Local Security Setting tab, add the Service and Administrator to the list of Users and Groups.
9. Click OK.
10. Restart the system.
From a newsgroup posting:
Another possible cause for the 0x800a0046 error is that the "Automatic Updates" service is not running as the correct user. To check/fix this, find "Automatic Updates" in the services list and choose "properties". Then select the "Log On" tab and make sure the button for "Local System Account" is selected. If it isn't, then close the window and restart the system.
Marc Liron - Microsoft MVP (2004-2010)
Whether you want to pass 642-902 exams or looking for SY0-201 certification, our testkings can provide guaranteed success in real exam. We offer up to date practice questions for N10-004 and mcpd exam. Get your ccna with highest score using up to date products.